Walker-Hirsch, M.Ed., FAAMR
604 Los Altos Norte
Santa Fe, NM 87501
Phone: (505) 995-9928
Leadership and expertise in social/sexual development
for individuals with special educational needs, their families and
professional support networks.
- Developing and implementing group and individual social/sexual educational training programs.
- Training and supervising professionals at schools and agencies.
- Providing support and technical assistance to schools and agencies.
- Facilitating policy development groups.
- Author/Editor: The Facts of Life… and More: Sexuality and Intimacy for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (Paul H. Brookes Publisher, 2007) a book for parents, teachers, social workers, psychologists, college professors and others who need a background of understanding of social and sexuality issues for individuals with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities.
- Designing special educational, multi-media teaching materials (co-creator of The Circles Series—multi-media social development curricula designed for individuals with disabilities).
- Motivating professionals and parents (Nationally and internationally recognized expert and lecturer on social and sexual issues related to developmental disabilities.)
- Guest adjunct instructor University of New Mexico, Graduate School of Educational Specialties
- Development of the Social Simentor elearning software products that teaches social skills by using interactive computer simulations
Private Practice in Sexuality and Developmental
- Fostering healthy sexual development through
education and training for individuals with disabilities and their
- Counseling and problem solving using state
of the art techniques and materials.
- Interfacing with schools and agencies in behalf
of individuals with disabilities.
- The Facts of Life …and More. Baltimore, Maryland: Paul H. Brookes Publishing, 298 pgs. 2007.
- Social Simentor Program. Access Technologies Group: Norwalk, Connecticut (Currently in development)
- Circles, Level 2: Intimacy and Relationships. Santa Barbara, California: James Stanfield Publishing Company, video and multi-media, 2006.
- Circles 1993: Intimacy and Relationships. Santa Barbara, California: James Stanfield Publishing Company, 12 videos and multi-media. 1993
- Circles: Safer Ways. Santa Monica, California: Stanfield Film Associates Video with multi-media. 1988.
- Circles: Stop Abuse. Santa Monica, California. Stanfield Film Associates. Video with multi-media. 1986.
- Circles. Santa Monica, California. Stanfield Film Associates. Video, slide, film strip with multi-media. 1983.
- Contributing author in Down Syndrome; Visions for the 21st Century. William I. Cohen, Lynn Nadel and Myra E. Madnick, eds., Chapter 22 p305; Wiley-Liss, Inc. New York, NY, 2002
- Contributing author in A Guide to Consent. Dinerstein and Herr, eds. AAMR Publication: Chapter 4: Washington, DC, December 1998.
- Contributing author in HIV Infection and Developmental Disabilities. Crocker, Cohen and Kastner, eds. Brookes Publishing.
Numerous articles have been published in journals
such as Sexuality and Disability,
Educational Leadership, SIECUS
Report, Forensic Echo,
as well as various newsletters.
American Association on Mental Retardation (AAMR, now AAIDD)
- President of General Division
- Founder and Chair of the Special Interest Group on Social
and Sexual Concerns (SIG/SOC/SEX)
National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS)
- Clinical Advisory Board: Charter Member
Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States
National Association for Dual Diagnosis
Down Syndrome Regional Parents Association/AIM HIGH
Westchester ARC (WARC)
National Editorial Board of the College of Direct Support, University of Minnesota
Awards and Honors
- American Association for Health Education: Presidential Citation,
- President’s Committee on Mental Retardation Next Generation Leadership Conference Speaker, 1999
- American Association on Mental Retardation: Promotion to Fellowship,
- American Association on Mental Retardation: Certificate of Appreciation,
- YAI Institute for People with Disabilities: Leadership Award, 1997
Rhode Island College, 1983: Individualized Master of Education, Special Education and
Hunter College, 1967 Bachelor of Arts, English and Communications
Back To Top
Back To Home